Friday, October 5, 2012

What Halloween Means To Me Day 1: Brinke Stevens


Lets start this here countdown right.  Today we’re gonna hear from one of my favorite actresses, and one of the ladies that the term “Scream Queen” was coined for.  Brinke Stevens has been a fixture in my horror movie experience since the beginning.  Many of my favorites from my early VHS collecting days, like Sorority House Massacre, Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, Haunting Fear, and Nightmare Sisters were graced by her charm, beauty, and talent.  I always dug her because she always came across onscreen as “the smart one.”  She was hot as all hell, but she always seemed like she had more depth than a lot of the other slasher fodder.  Since the “Golden Age of the Scream Queen,” she's remained active in the genre, doing flicks like Summer of Massacre, The Boneyard Collection, and a personal favorite of mine…Delta, Delta, Die!   Recently, she and her scream queen contemporaries Linnea Quigley and Michelle Bauer were the subject of a great documentary called Screaming in High Heels, which is available HERE.  She's also been a busy lady as of late, with multiple upcoming releases you should be keeping an eyeball out for, including Disciples, Safe Inside, Axeman at Cutter's Creek, and The Trouble with Barry.
In addition to being one of the first ladies of horror, unleashing her great scream in starring roles in classic flicks, providing us with eye candy in those “girl in shower” roles, and her extensive modeling career, she is also known as one of the friendliest and most approachable celebrities on the convention circuit.  What’s not to love?  So, without further ado, the first participant in the What Halloween Means To Me” countdown, the one and only Brinke Stevens.



"What Halloween Means To Me", by Brinke Stevens:

"When I was a child in the early-1960's (growing up in a small rural town near San Diego CA), I had to wear store-bought masks & costumes. It was so very hard to see out of -- and so uncomfortable to breathe through -- those plastic "Cinderella" or "Malificent" faces. Little did I know that playing "Malificent" would eventually build a firm foundation for my Scream Queen future!
Flash forward decades later... In 2002, I bought a new condo and moved in on Halloween night. Now, I celebrate the holiday by handing out candy to my neighborhood's costumed kids in the early evening, while I've invited my own dear friends over to watch scary movies late at night!"


Oh, what the hell...one more picture.

You're welcome.

  25 day ‘til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.  25 days ‘til Halloween, Silver Shamrock.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...