Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Creepmas Horror Tunes Countdown # 24-23

http://creepmas.blogspot.com/Well Cellmates, looks like another Halloween lies cold in its grave.  National Tryptophan Overdose Day and Dawn of the Retail Zombies has come and gone.  That can only mean one thing... Creepmas is upon us.  This year, I'm going to be participating in the official 13 Days of Creepmas for the first time.  Click on that snazzy logo to see the other pages getting into the ghoultide spirit.  But I ain't gonna stop at 13.  Oh no.  The Son of Celluloid believes that anything worth doing is worth overdoing.  So I'm going from now until Christmas Eve.  But what's this countdown gonna be all about?  Well, grab your nuts and gather 'round the open fire, 'cause Uncle Nathan's gonna tell ya.
For the past 8 years, I've made what I call a XXX-Mas Mix for my friends each holiday season.  I harness my powers as undisputed lord and master of the mix CD to create the most f**ked up collection of songs about sex, drugs, suicide, homicide, and general humbuggery possible.  As you can imagine, a lot of those songs have a horror twist to them.  Now, I'm not going to be giving out CDs to all of you.  You know, give a man a fish and blah blah blah.  What I am gonna do is share 24 of the best horror related XXX-Mas tunes I've encountered over the years and let you make your own mix.  All of these songs are pretty easily dug up online.  When we're done, you'll have the perfect soundtrack to open those presents to.  To be honest, I intended to start this countdown on the 1st, but stuff happened.  Therefore, the first couple of days will be two for the price of one until we catch up.  So, without further ado, let's get started...

#24  Christopher Lee - Little Drummer Boy

I'm kicking things off with two unconventional takes on Christmas standards.  First up is Christopher Lee (yes, THAT Christopher Lee) and his version of Little Drummer Boy, or as my Grandmother called it "that rumpapum song."  She despised that song for some reason.  Anyway, Sir Christopher hooked up with some of his "symphonic metal" buddies to put out a two song EP of holiday tunes last year.  Silent Night is pretty good, but this one is a gem.  Dracula's regal voice booming over a galloping beat and chugging guitars?  Hell yeah!  It may sound like an odd pairing, but dammit, it works.


 
#23  Alice Cooper - Santa Claws Is Coming To Town

This one actually has an all star cast.   Alice Cooper on vocals, John 5 on guitar, Billy Sheehan on bass, and Vinny Appice on drums.  The tune really belongs to Alice though.  With his trademark sneering, sinister delivery, Santa's arrival sounds like impending doom.  That foreboding atmosphere holds up until the moment you hear the king of shock rock sing the words "rooty toot toots and rummy tum tums."  I laugh until I damn near cry every time I hear that.  This track comes from an album called "We Wish You A Metal Xmas And A Headbanging New Year."  It's definitely worth a purchase.  In addition to this classic, its got killer versions of Run, Run Rudolph (with Lemmy on vocals),  Dio and Tony Iommi collaborating on God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, and the greatest version of Silent Night ever recorded featuring members of Testament, White Zombie, Anthrax, and Shadows Fall). 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...